Plant Sterol & Stanol
- Plant sterols (or phytosterols) are natural ingredient of cell membrane of plants
- The stanols are saturated form of phytosterol
- A typical western diet includes between 200 and 400mg of plant sterols, which stanols only constitute a small proportion (up to 50 mg)
- They occur naturally in plants in small amounts
– vegetable oils, nuts, cereals
– in daily diet ~ 300 mg/day of plant sterols
– 50 mg/day of plant stanols = 350 mg/day
– In food TOO LITTLE TO LOWER CHOLESTEROL
- The most common are
– sitosterol and campesterol– sitostanol and campestanol
Lam M. Plant sterol and stanol margarines and health. Br Med J 2000; 320:861-4
Penyakit Jantung dan StrokePenyakit jantung dan stroke adalah penyakit jantung pembunuh No. 1 di Indonesia. Total kolesterol >240 meningkat risiko ...
1. In a meta-analysis published in 2009, the maximal LDL-cholesterol reduction for the pooled results of plant stanols and plant sterols was 12.3%. (D...
1. Structurally are similar to cholesterol 2. Their functions are similar to cholesterol in mammalian cells (essential membrane components, p...
Plant sterols (or phytosterols) are natural ingredient of cell membrane of plants The stanols are saturated form of phytosterol A typical western ...